The Broadway Streetscape is currently a semi-permanent phase one implementation of the road configuration called for in the full Broadway Streetscape Master Plan. The Dress Rehearsal draws precedent from other such projects across the country and in LA, including Times Square in New York City as implemented by the New York City Department of Transportation and Sunset Triangle Plaza in the Silver Lake area of Los Angeles.
The current implementation uses cost-efficient and quickly installed materials to create traffic-calming pedestrian enhancements and reconfigure the road to three traffic lanes while funding is secured to achieve the permanent build-out of the full-scale project on a block-by-block basis.
Phase one reconfigures Broadway from 4 traffic lanes to 3 traffic lanes between 2nd Street and 11th Street. LADOT will implement the Dress Rehearsal, using pavement treatments and physical indicators to delineate publicly accessible space within the roadway. These semi-permanent treatments leave flexibility to update configurations before the cost of a full construction build-out is undertaken if modifications are desired or necessary.
The phase one "Dress Rehearsal" treatment along Broadway:
• Reduces crosswalk widths for pedestrians
• Reconfigures the roadway for more efficient, predictable and streamlined vehicular travel
• Promotes calmer traffic and increased pedestrian activity
• Provides 24-hour curbside parking and loading to support Broadway businesses
• Creates an iconic destination for residents, visitors, and tourists
• Enhances pedestrian amenities – expands public realm for gathering and public activities
• Sets the stage for the future Downtown L.A. Streetcar
• Streamlines MTA bus service
• Bolsters economic vitality
The Broadway Streetscape Master Plan is one of L.A.'s first large-scale examples of a "Complete Streets" project. The plan will implement numerous pedestrian-oriented, traffic-calming tools for the historic Broadway corridor to provide greater pedestrian comfort and security along one of the city's busiest pedestrian streets, and make Broadway a more enjoyable place to walk, shop, and spend time.
The Streetscape Plan / Broadway Road Diet will be achieved in two phases. Phase one is the "Dress Rehearsal," which will use cost-efficient and quickly installed materials to create traffic-calming pedestrian enhancements and reconfigure the road to three traffic lanes while funding is secured to achieve the permanent build-out of the full-scale project on a block-by-block basis.
Aspects of the Broadway Streetscape Master Plan’s full-scale build out include:
• Widened sidewalks and curb extensions
• Reduced crosswalk widths
• Enhanced pedestrian crosswalk treatments
• Reconfiguration of the street to three lanes of traffic
• Curbside 24-hour parking
• Loading and valet areas to support Broadway
• Transit stations
• Enhanced lighting
• Bike racks
• Wayfinding signage
• Trees and plantings
• Storm water retention and recycling system